Thursday 30 December 2010

Faaaa lalala HAPPY CHRISTMAS ! & A MERRY NEW YEAR

I hope you've had a belly busting, and well watered Chrimbo.

Now this instalment of Rubi Finds has become occupied with Rubi's Locs, I have received a number of compliment on my hair. THANK YOU ALL!! *Blushing*, I am especially proud and delighted of these compliments because my hair is natural and in a beauty obsessed world having a natural, as much as it is praised, is not usually the subject of many desires. I have come across articles and blogs which do dwell over the difficulties of transitioning over to a natural.

The ardious task of looking for inspiring hair styles is a looong and winding road. However i have come across a few ... 'Contemporary Natural Hair' facebook group is by far the BEST i have seen for natural hair styles on the web and believe me i have search! This group displays advant garde styles a such as the pic below, doesn't she look fierce with those sexy african coils !!


More often than not, I come across hair styles such as Miss black britain who is gorgeous with hair that suits...

When the media depicts natural hairstyles is often related to gorgeous mixed raced chicks with mid lenght hair (as above), as a result i think this make it harder for those with tighter colied/african hair to take the step to natural hair. Thus my issue is that when searching for afro hair styles for short to mid to length its difficult!!!! tooooo many sites/blogs/people are obsessed with attaining long hair, instead of being happy with they're own lengths. Ultimately people should be more concerned with the maintenance of good hair and by 'good hair' I mean in good condition !! Check out Chris Rock's documovie - 'Good Hair' which take us on a journey of black women's hair and their trails and tribulations, and sometime unfortunate association with their own hair. I honestly think every young black tween should watch this movie, so to be informed and educated of the beauty that is their afro hair.


My natural hair story began because of my boredom with relaxed hair styles, for the first time since Zhane, a sexy strong individual women burst on to the screens with a bald head! Amber Rose, now love her or loath her, to me this woman looked bad!




By this point I shaved half my relaxed hair .. may I just say I did this way before the whole world decided too as I was inspired by my ol' favorites Salt & Pepa. I digress , so instead of having to wait for my hair to grow i thought why not just shave the other side off ! Then it grew a bit and I played with colour.. roll on 9 months including a huge afro weave. My hair is now a length which i can now play with and because of the limited search, i have had to become my own inspiration which brings me to the reason of the blog.

Part of my play is using two strand twists - youtube have a world on how too's for this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQlEA0CqOI&feature=related check this vid out ;0)

I'm often asked how i achieve my most recent hair style, basically i two strand twist the night before, the longer its kept in the better the curl. Therefore;

  • The night before two strand twist by parting mid - small sections of your hair. Literally twist the two sections of the hair and then twist together. Then twist round into china bumbs.
  • Cover hair with a silk or satin like scarf, be careful not to wrap your hair too tightly.
  • In the morning untwist without combing out which leaves the hair with a natural like curl avoiding any heat damage. To assist the hold I use Taliah Waajid Lock it UP, which can be bought online from http://www.afrotherapy.com. This is similar to a gel so will hold hard. I think its best to use on freshly washed hair and let dry naturally overnight.










Then use hair grips to manipulate into place and style as desired. THEN Voila !















Ciao Ciao and see ya in 2011 !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment